Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Garden

Over Memorial Day weekend, my sister and I planted a garden. Last year, we planted flowers along the edge of my patio. They were really pretty all summer, but this year, after comparing the beauty of last years flowers to the weekly farmers market bill that I had, I decided to go with a vegetable garden. I planted jalapenos, banana peppers, okra, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, and squash.

After we made it back to my house with all of the plants and supplies, I realized that we had more to plant this year than we did last year. So, my sister and I (really just my sister) extended my "garden." For most people, this would be no big deal, but my husband has put a LOT of money and sweat into making sure that our grass is pretty and soft. I don't think that he was too excited when he came home to see how much we had dug up! But I calmly explained to him that it was too late and to learn to deal with it:).

My garden is now starting to come up. It has not produced anything to eat yet, but I think it will start any day now. On to the new problem... BUGS. They are eating all of the leaves! I went to the garden section of the store last night and purchased a dusting agent that is supposed to get rid of the bugs. I will see in a day or two if it is working. I really hope it does work, it will be harder for my husband to live with the bare spot in the grass if there isn't any plants left!

Pictures coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment